7.16.2006

another weekend, another festival


What better way to spend a weekend than to visit the Finger Lakes wine festival?


It was a good deal, considering that you get free flow of alcohol for 30 dollars. The downside was that it was a 45 minute drive away, and we had to decide who was sober enough to drive us back. We thought that the police would get every car's driver to take a breathalyser test on the way out, but that didn't happen. Someone had to hide in the boot too, because there were six of us in one car.


So there were tons of people, just like last weekend, and some were high. Intermittently, people would start cheering, especially if they hear someone drop his wine glass.
It was held beside a NASCAR race track, fyi.


The best part was that I got to try many types of wine and could see what I liked or disliked. So I liked the whites, especially the Riesling, which was always refreshing. Chardonnay was ok but dry, the Gewurztraminer is interesting, because the one I tried had hints of white pepper and pineapple. The dessert wines were all sweet and tasty. As for the reds, I definitely did not like Pinot Noir, even though Sideways championed it. I had a couple of Merlots, as well as mixes like Cabernet Merlot. I didn't try Cabernet Sauvignon cuz I didn't make an attempt to pronounce Sauvignon (it's just too long). There was a ginseng wine that absolutely sucked, and a chocolate one was ok. I didn't enjoy Ice wine as much as I thought I would. The fruit wines were all great. Rasberry, strawberry, cranberry. The honey wine (mead) was also sweet. Yeah, I guess I have a sweet tooth. I left out a lot in the end, since we only had four hours, and there's only so much wine you can take before they all start to taste the same.


Besides the innumerable stalls peddling wine, there were also a few stalls giving free samples of food, and we promptly took advantage of that. The garlic butter dip was fantastic with bread, and Mammamia curd was my favorite cheese there. I liked blue cheese too.


But all this just makes my expediture sky rocket. Lastest news: the dentist is charging me another 1000 bucks. I have half a mind not to continue the treatment.. but I know I should.
Later.