6.07.2005

Suddenly, I have lost all interest in watching desperate housewives on ch 5. Maybe it's because I already know what happened in the finale from the media sites I hungrily devour. Maybe it's because I'm not emotionally attached to the characters; after all, it's a street of nutcases. Maybe it's because of hype overkill; it's simply nauseating to see teri hatcher declare how little sex she's having every damned time and live her second wind of fame when she didn't deserve that best actress trophy. I am sooo not hooked anymore.

I realised that my appetite for pop culture and mass media has grown from strength to strength. Primary school I was already rummaging through 8 days and its chinese counterpart (I don't think it was called i-weekly then). I even started to collect the issues.. as the magazine went through various makeovers. Almost every issue, although some escaped my grasp to the garang guni man. That was from 97 all the way to 03, when my mum decided that they were taking too much space in the cupboard. So in exchange for getting the cupboard space, she helped me cut out all the jason hahn (saffy and amanda) stories. No need to buy the jason hahn book!

Neil Gaiman will be in town 4-6 July, the same period as the IOC meeting. I really liked american gods as well as the sandman books I would read in the library when I should have been mugging for my a levels.. kudos to the rj library for stocking graphic novels.. (is there a better word to say 'kudos'? I don't like using it cuz it's so cliche.) I think it's high time to buy one of his books so that I can go for the book signing.

I'm also feeling good about taking a break from the attachment. So far, the only highlights were helping to do up presentation slides, crunching numbers, attending a boring seminar at the biopolis (Kim, what a cool work place! zaha hadid designed. nice angular carpark.) and going down for a site survey. When I come back I can look forward to helping out in a farewell video thing and going for more site visits and also quiz a colleague on her son's aeronautical engineering studies. There's also an additional plus point to the job. Seeing all those fresh faced kids go to CMPB for their registration and health check up gives me unexpected glee and satisfaction. It's like I'm one-up them. Haha.

I think my bank account is very empty now after 300+ spent on the visa application and the 350 spent on seven dim sum dollies tickets. Gotta start sending out claims forms soon!