8.22.2006

Moving house was a bitch.


Not only did it take multiple trips from the summer apartment to the new house, I also spent more money in making life to come more comfortable. Like I bought two new pillows, a new chair, an ottoman, a full length mirror, a fan, speakers, a printer, a desk lamp, a dustbin. However ever ever, I hate my sheets. I thought it was greenish but it looks more like yellow under the light. I'm going to change it tomorrow. The rest of the decor rocks though. There's stuff on my walls from all over the world-- rug and cowboy hat from Peru, posters from Paris, calendar from Greece, subway map from London. Travelling pays off.

Moving done, I disappeared to NYC for the weekend. That was great fun. And Karen, the Hudson Hotel is indeed designed by Philippe Starck. That place is chic. It has a nondescript entrance backlit by my favorite shade of green, a chandelier with holograms, an outdoor garden with a big watering can, and a lounge set in a library with a whole tier of books and creepy cow pictures on the walls. Oh yeah, you can play chess on the table while drinking too. I wish I could hang out at such places every weekend.



Other NYC stuff:
  • Pub crawling around East Village is an awesome exercise. My legs hurt from walking so much after that. But it was still worth it.
  • Momofuko has really good ramen. I tried the somen, which is thinner than ramen. The cold broth is yummy and the portions are generous. Also try the steamed buns.
  • Nyonya. Oh. My. God. Even better than Penang.
  • I think the underground 24 hour Apple store is overrated. It's a Lourve rip off, down to the circular elevator.

I miss the city already. It's my favorite city in the world, hands down.

The thrill of Prison Break did make my life happier after I got back, for at least one hour on Monday. Oh, and Snakes on a Plane too. I'm sad to report that it didn't really open huge last weekend. So much for it being the biggest movie of summer. Actually, hyping it up was half the fun of it. Unfortunately there were only 20 people in that cinema and they weren't that enthusiastic. I was laughing at all the nonsense though. Actually I laughed at everything, from the bad acting to the hilarious dialogue. (17) I cried with joy when Samuel L Jackson finally uttered the immortal line. I should have watched it in Manhattan, preferably with a whole bunch of drunk people, but then I wouldn't have been able to catch Zaha Hadid's exhibit at the Guggenheim. Did you know that she was said to hate her own show? "Too cheap," she said. She's such a diva. My idol. But Prison Break was good. Kind of slow opening episode, but they delivered the goods. A character gets offed, Michael still has one look-- that brooding look, and the new inspector is pretty damn smart. Next week's preview looks exciting as well.

Oh and I'm seriously domesticated now. Now I know, Gstar jeans are the hardest to iron.

(17) "That's great news-- snakes on crack."
"It's amazing what a man can do with one hand."
"Hurry up, time is tissue."