7.08.2006

I'm gonna puke turkey


Best worst idea: A $1.5 million magnetic bed. Imagine what it does to your body piercings.

Here's this week's report from I-town, y'all.

- I am absolutely bored with school, but physics lab is rather simple (um, standing waves are so cool) and we don't have to submit any lab report. Woowee.

- The 5hr driving prelicensing course was intense. We had to sit on our wooden chairs for that duration, listen to an instructor talk in rapid fire mode and watch many videos, out of which only one was remotely funny. It basically instills in people a fear of not buckling seat belts.

- 4th of July just reminded me of the Aimee Mann song: 'Today's the fourth of july / Another June has gone by / And when they light up our town I just think / What a waste of gunpowder and sky'. Most poetic four lines to ever begin a song.
Even though we knew that Boston had the best firework display, none of us went, choosing instead to see the ones put up by Ithaca college. We were duly disappointed. The main problem, is that they only shoot one up at a time. They should really compress all the shells into 5 mins instead of dragging it out to 30. I enjoyed XXXXXXXXX's eagerness to see a 'golden shower'.

- Kings is a fun drinking game. I'll teach ya one day.

- Settlers is not a fun game.

- I'm also hooked onto Battlestar Galatica. I've never seen a more gripping 2 part episode since Prison Break's rioting saga. It's like firefly, but more serious. You should watch it. Anyway, any show that has a former Victoria's Secret model playing a human-like robot makes my list.

==========

We went to the Renaissance Festival in Sterling for some good old medieval fun today. It's like a theme park slash carnival, pretty big actually. There were actors in costumes and acting in character (God save the Queen!) for the entire day, fire jugglers, a sword eater, human chess matches, tons of arts and crafts and..


PIRATES!


I didn't watch Pirates 2 after I read the bad reviews. I do want to download The Devil Wears Prada to see Meryl Streep chew the screen up.


The jousting match was also entertaining. Everyone had to shout 'Ay!', 'Boo!', 'Kazza!' every now and then. The match turned into something like a hilarious wrestling match soon after-- knight jumped from a horse etc.

However, today will forever be remembered as the day we felt like throwing up our lunch and dinner. We were quite hungry in the afternoon and the huge ass turkey legs looked so incredibly appetizing.


Those were happier times. Twenty minutes later, after struggling with the skin, the splinters in the bone, the ligaments and 5 chicken wings' worth of meat, I had to call time out. Only Jeremy, who took that picture, could clean out the turkey leg.


Dinner was history repeating. Not heeding advice, five of us ordered this dish that is just a mountain of sashimi, spicy mayo, sushi rolls and other stuff. I shudder to think of it. In fact, I think I'm ready to puke now if I see this picture again. To be fair, it looked and tasted really good at first, just like the turkey leg.. I can't eat Japanese for the rest of the month, at least.

==========

- Movies:
I'm Going to Tell You a Secret is a must watch for diva wannabes.
Heart of Gold made me a Neil Young fan.
Before Sunrise is so romantic it hurts.
Match Point shows why Scarlett Johansson is the hottest.
Portishead NYC is an incredible concert film too.

- It's tori phase again. I have to get hold of Timo Maas' remixes of "Don't Make Me Come to Vegas", because that I felt that the song had a lot of potential that wasn't fulfilled on the album version. I don't know where I can find it though, since it was only released to DJs on vinyl. The other thing that re-piqued my interest was a recording of her covering Karma Police. Well, I got goosebumps.
But the exciting news is her upcoming box set of rarities and hits. A track list:

Disc 1:
"Leather" (Alternate Mix) "Precious Things" (Alternate Mix) "Silent All These Years" "Upside Down" "Crucify" (Unedited Single Version) "Happy Phantom" "Me and a Gun" "Flying Dutchman" (Alternate Mix) "Girl" "Winter" "Take to the Sky (Russia)" "Tear in Your Hand" "China" "Sweet Dreams" "Mother" (Alternate Mix) "Little Earthquakes"

Disc 2:
"Cornflake Girl" "Honey" "Take Me With You" "Baker Baker" (Alternate Mix) "The Waitress" (Alternate Mix) "Pretty Good Year" "God" "Cloud on My Tongue" "Past the Mission" (Alternate Mix) "Bells For Her" "Yes, Anastasia" (Alternate Mix) "Blood Roses" "Mr Zebra" "Caught a Lite Sneeze" (Alternate Mix) "Professional Widow" (Merry Widow Version - Live) "Beauty Queen/Horses" "Father Lucifer" "Marianne"

Disc 3:
"Walk to Dublin" (Sucker Reprise) "Hey Jupiter" (Dakota Version) "Professional Widow" (Armand"s Star Trunk Funkin" Mix) "Putting the Damage On" "Bliss" (Remixed Version) "Suede" "Glory of the 80's" "1000 Oceans" "Concertina" (Single Remix Version) "Lust"
"Datura" "Sugar" (Soundcheck) "The Waitress" (Live) "Snow Cherries From France" "Doughnut Song" (Remixed Version)

Disc 4:
"A Sorta Fairytale" "Not David Bowie" "Amber Waves" "Iieee" (Remixed Version) "Playboy Mommy" (Remixed Version) "The Beekeeper" "Jackie's Strength" "Zero Point" "Sweet the Sting" "Ode to My Clothes" "Spark" "Intro Jam"/"Marys of the Sea" "Cruel" (Remixed Version) "Dolphin Song" "Gold Dust"

Disc 5:
"The Pool" "Never Seen Blue" "Daisy Dead Petals" "Beulah Land" "Sugar" "Cooling" "Bachelorette" "Black Swan" "Mary" (Tales Version) "Peeping Tommi" "Toodles Mr. Jim"
Demo Medley: "Fire-Eater's Wife/Beauty Queen" (Demo) "Playboy Mommy" (Demo) "A Sorta Fairytale" (Demo) "This Old Man" "Purple People" "Here. In My Head" "Hungarian Wedding Song" "Merman" "Sister Janet" "Home on the Range" (Cherokee Edition) "Frog on my Toe"

- But of course, my true love still is and always will be her.