6.17.2006

Mal Wash Zoe Book Simon River Kaylee Inara Jayne


What can I show you of London that you haven't already seen?


I don't like holidays much. Firstly, they make me feel useless, like I'm doing absolutely nothing with my life. I just got back from watching a world cup match, well not really, it was half time and I got bored. Life is pretty rountine now. I get up, get breakfast, do some errands (bank, haircut, groceries), watch something, hang out with other people, start preparing dinner, dinner, hang out some more. I've had minced meat for three consecutive days and today will be the fourth. Need some different recipe this time.



The Tate modern had always been a place I wanted to visit. Redone by Herzog & de Meuron (also the guys giving you the Beijing olympic stadium), it's one of the best examples of old-turned-new architecture, having used to be a power station. The interior is minimalistic, while the turbine hall serves as a space for extremely large exhibits. Unfortunately it was empty when I visited. I couldn't finish the whole place. But I like modern art and am inspired to do something.. I have an idea.
The Millenium bridge is a nice lead up to the museum. I guess it serves to bridge the new (Tate modern) and the old (St Paul's).


Shakespeare's Globe theater is right beside. I kind of followed Estelle's walking guide, cuz all my friends were busy studying (those muggers). Of the three places I've been to, I took the least photos in London. First night it was Millenium bridge -> Tate modern -> Globe -> Tower bridge -> Tower of London -> long stretch of nothing -> Swiss Re HQ (the gherkin) -> Lloyd's buiding (one of the coolest ever) -> London Eye -> Westminister Abbey -> Big Ben -> long stretch of nothing. Basically I walked till I dropped. In fact those two weeks were really strenous--urban hikes every single day. I didn't take the tube that much as you see nothing underground. Also, during one rush hour, I couldn't barge my way onto the train. Twice.


Gorgeous. I've seen cut through diagrams of the building, and they have these air wells that spiral up the building. On the outside they are visible as the darker skin portions.


Lloyd's. Futuristic, even now.



Second day I discovered the wonders of Oxford st. I don't know why but I like having shopfronts on the street (ala every other city) rather than in a mall (like Singapore). It's just more fun. Topshop was the cheapest there. Found the Dover st Market, incredibly snobbish high end 5 storey complex stocked with comme des garcons and the like. Cool thing found: a vending machine that vends clothes.


Then on to Regent st -> Virgin megastore -> Picadilly circus -> Trafalgar square -> Harrods (tacky!)->


Leicester square -> Convent garden. Though not necessarily in that order. I ended my day with Lion King. Great sets, great costumes, but I didn't think the songs were delivered perfectly.



Only took 2 group photos! Can you believe that. Couldn't even pick the best picture to post. Oh well, I might go there again, I don't know, 5 years later.