6.14.2006

I almost died on the first day in Athens


It's true.
After a long day of walking around (getting sidetracked by spanish pimp and russian hooker) and negotiating with the hotel to let me crash Christina's and Estelle's hotel room (tried and failed), I settled down on my bed in that hotel and plugged in the european adapter, only to be fried. Glad I survived. I know you are too.


The subway system is a scam. There are no gates to go through when entering; the gaps are wide open. We cheated once. I think they are losing more money than the San Francisco bus service, seeing the number of people who dash through the stations. But of course, there's a heavy fine if you get caught.


We skirted around the hotel room issue by deciding to take an overnight ferry to the islands. The hotel guy did not believe that I wasn't staying there.


The acropolis is one dusty construction site. Much restoration work is going on there. My eyes were foggy even after I removed my contacts. I also thought that my tshirt will endear me to the Greek people.


That assumption proved to be false, however. When we posed with a head bust of Alexander (us kissing his cheeks), the museum woman forced us to delete the picture. In older days they would have had to confisticate the entire roll of film.


This is what I call the Yanni amphitheater. The urban sprawl beyond is amazing. All squat looking buildings stretching away in all directions.


The glam side of the Parthenon, "the finest achievement in Greek architecture".


The unglam side.


We were very thirsty at this point. The day before, I managed to locate what an online guide deemed to be the best restaurant and best icecream in the Psiri district (hip hip hip)-- Gelatomania on the junction of Taki and Aisopou and Platia Iroon respectively. We took a while to get out of the Acropolis area and headed for food. Ice cream flavors tried:
Baileys
Ferrero
Bitter choc
Cherry yoghurt
Peach yoghurt
something else
They were good.


The 7 hr ferry ride to Santorini was at 10.30pm. Little did we know what was in store for us..