5.26.2006

Summertime

Could it be true? I have survived 5 days of not eating out and cooking my own dinner? It really helps that there's lots of meat in the apartment I'm subletting that has to be eaten before it starts to rot. I haven't yet tried those fancy premixed packets though. All I had was fried bacon, ham, minced meat with lots of sauces, chicken floss, fried bacon, some steamed egg. There were some minor mishaps, like when Paul, Joel and I thought that the indo mee was meant to be dry, but was actually with soup. Guess we didn't see that it wrote 'onion chicken' on the plastic. And just how hard is it to fry an egg? Is the trick to put lots of oil on the wok before cracking the egg? My egg stuck to the bottom. It wouldn't have been nice anyway-- I broke the yolk.

ok Things are getting boring here even though I still have lots of shows to watch. Princess Mononoke is damnnnn good. It's a good case against deforestation and I'm sad that the guy and girl didn't get it on at the end. I was surprised that it was so gory; so many decapitated heads and limbs flying everywhere. At first I wanted to buy a book, but decided against it. Noble cause of saving money you see. Anyway in my apartment there's Virginia Woolf's to the lighthouse, but I just know I can't read any classic. Too many words in one sentence. I give up on 100 years of solitude too. Now I'm on page 1 of Susanna Clarke's jonathan strange & mr norrell, but there are 800 pages to go. Let's hope we get to go watch xmen 3 at the mall tonight. One movie a semester, alas.

Did anyone watch the american idol results show? I didn't. All my favorites didn't make it at all. Paris Bennett, Chris Daugtry, Elliot Yamin, even Mandisa fell by the wayside. I didn't like the last two much. Granted, Katherine is really hot, but her performances are boring as hell; she has got zero personality and smiles too much. Taylor has a double chin! He looks like a kopitiam uncle and has spasmatic dance moves. Mandisa blew everyone away during the girls' medley. Now how do I know all this. All thanks to rickey.org. And I finally get what a big deal Prince is. Just watch. That retro big hair! Those two dancers/back up singers on either side! Those hot moves! That falsetto! He has awesome stage presence. Paula was so damn high.

I guess I'm not the only one hooked on youtube. Yeah hardgay's pretty amusing, but till now I still think the first video I ever watched is still matchless.

Ella Fitzgerald sings Summertime. If you even remotely like jazz, you'll orgazzzzz at this. She is so perfect and peerless in phrasing and holding the notes, and you can just see how intense her performance is by the bucket loads of sweat she sheds on stage. Ella Ella Ella. I only wonder how she'll fare if she had lived in this day and age, where american idol is the biggest thing on tv and image makes or breaks you.

++ Where's the sun when there's so much time to suntan? Yonglin has resorted to spraying sunless tan. We think that he's getting desperate.