7.18.2005

Uh my feet really hurt when I walk. I think it's because I went running and now I'm wearing dress shoes. About the running, I needed the endorphins. See lately, I've been feeling as emo as a 14 year old girl. That's because a) I haven't been watching movies because everyone watches movies on weekday afternoons; b) it doesn't seem so fabulous to be single anymore; c) gusto @ wisma atria is overpriced and underportioned; d) my notebook can't connect to the wireless router at home; e) noone has the photos from our class gathering.

So there.

These are the abandoned post-starters- things I would have written in the past week if I had the time.

...I found a really cool looking book at borders. At the horror section of all places. It's called House of Leaves. It's a story in a story in a story. Supposedly terrifying and experimental, the main story is about a filmmaker making a movie about a house that is bigger on the inside than the outside. And someone footnotes the first story with David Foster Wallace compulsiveness. It will have the reader read it from a mirror's reflection, upside down and the like. I don't think I'm buying it though..

...I know I have an unhealthy obsession with the superficial. I know that because I want to look like the people in GQ. People who "have an army of stylists, hairdressers, shoppers, personal trainers" behind them. I heart heart heart the classic american look, the preppy school boy, the urban pioneer looks.

I know that because I'm fascinated by socialites. Like the late Nan Kempner who passed away recently at 72. She lived a glorious life among the rich and famous. She had an elegance that came from an archaic era, where women had limited ways of rising to power. Her wit and party hosting skills were legendary and her dinners had guests like Princess Di. She single handedly kept the couture business alive- she missed only one of Yves Saint Laurent's couture shows and musuems went to her regularly to borrow clothes. She kept her body thin so that she could purchase the half size runway clothes at discounted prices. She also inspired the term "social x-ray", which Tom Wolfe used to describe the upper east side ladies in Bonfire of the Vanities. Yeah, I've done my research so well that I could regurgitate all that.

Sadly, the younger generation of party girls are only known for their trash talking, unglamorous tramp behavior. Like the british empire or the old world hollywood, they would never scale up to their past glory..

...Class gathering was very good. There was very gawdawful music coming from the baybeats festival though. Charlotte's autographed penis drawing, Daryl's card tricks, Wenzheng's emoticon-worthy pictures of Xinyi, Dillion's TT Durai-like salary, free desserts, chocolate fondue, unadulterated swearing, and no there's not going to be a farewell..

..k750i, k750i, why art thou so expensive?..