1.23.2005

i spent most of today lazing on the bed.
  • maybe i'm feeling dead broke and need to get a job.
  • still undecided about going to jb tomorrow cuz i don't want to miss desperate housewives.
  • but then there's great cheap food..
  • don't ever eat the 20 inch pizza at modestos with less than 4 persons. it's as bleeping big as the table.
  • all my conversation topics are stuck in a rut.
  • more films like eurotrip please.

5 great january songs.

  1. BRIGHT EYES - LANDLOCKED BLUES more than overhyped indie poster boy goes folk; gets his angst tempered by emmylou harris. "We made love on the living room floor With the noise in the background from a televised war. And in that defeaning pleasure I thought I heard someone say "If we walk away, they'll walk away."
  2. NINA GORDON - 18 AND LIFE i always loved story songs about down and out characters who's got nothing to live for. "'Accidents will happen', they all heard Ricky say. He fired his six-shot to the wind - that child blew a child away."
  3. MADALEINE PEYROUX - BETWEEN THE BARS strips the jaunty bounce of elliot smith's original; this is what you'll hear on radio if the world were black and white and there is velvet everywhere. "People you've been before That you don't want around anymore That push and shove and won't bend to your will.. I'll keep them still."
  4. ALLISON MOORER - MOONSHINER there are songs about love, religion, death, life and then there are songs about alcohol. "I've been a moonshiner for seventeen long years and I spent all my money on whiskey and beer. and I go to some hollow and set up my still. if whiskey don't kill me Lord, I don't know what will."
  5. K.D. LANG - HELPLESS like the rest of the songs in the album hymns of the 49th parallel, this brings to mind the wide open spaces of canada, the season autumn, the smoke from factories, the telephone wires. "Big birds flying across the sky Throwing shadows on our eyes Leaves us Helpless, helpless, helpless."